Horizontal well completion trends have migrated toward multiwell pads with zipper fracs that
- Optimize spacing and stacking
- Increase lateral length with some approaching 20,000 ft
- Have a greater number of frac stages, as high as 100 stages per well
- Reduce stage lengths from 250 to 300 ft down to 150 to 200 ft
- Space up to 30 perforation clusters as close as 10 ft apart.
This trend requires an extremely safe and efficient execution approach specifically designed for these multiwell pads. The optimization goal is to lower completion time, reduce risk, decrease operating cost and maximize total available pumping time.
Conventional wireline pressure control equipment, perforating gun systems, setting tools and monitoring systems were not developed for today’s high-paced multiwell-pad zipper-frac operations, which sometimes approach 20 wireline perforating runs per day. As the number of stages per day and guns per stage continues to increase, maintaining a high level of service quality and efficiency becomes extremely challenging for wellsite personnel. What's required is optimized wireline completion technologies that can support wellsite personnel and address the new challenges of horizontal well completions.
The ZIP Intervention Platform* has been developed by GR Energy Services to optimize safety, wellsite efficiency and perforating placement for fracture stimulation. This innovative technology platform has proved to maximize total available pumping time, reduce risk and lower the total cost of operations. The ZIP Intervention Platform encompasses the following unique technology solutions:
- ZipLok*—A remotely operated, hydraulic wireline pressure control equipment release device that removes personnel from the risk of conducting operations in a high-pressure red zone. ZipLok also eliminates the need for a crew member to work at heights, which enables stimulation operations to continue during well-to-well wireline transitions. The ZipLok system includes a control module that is capable of conducting a highly efficient wireline lubricator pressure test via an integrated quick-test sub, incorporates a programmable logic controller tied to a well pressure monitor to ensure a safe release from the wellhead, and can operate multiple hydraulic release devices from a single control module, reducing the footprint on location.
- ZipDrop*—An optical remote ball dropper that saves time and eliminates the need for personnel to work at heights or in the red zone to place a ball in the top of the wellhead.
- ZipSquad*—A portless, addressable, pre-wired compact gun string designed to achieve the lowest plug-n-perf operating time and the highest reliability. The gun system enables the maximum number of perforating guns to be deployed in a single run.
- ZipSet*—A one-time-use, disposable setting tool that significantly decreases string length, operating time and the chance of human error. The disposable nature of the tool ensures all tolerances are within specifications, leading to optimal plug-setting performance.
- ZipRelease*—A downhole addressable release tool that, upon sending a unique command, can release from a stuck tool string, allowing the wireline to be safely removed from the wellbore.
- ZipView*—Real-time monitoring of depth, tension, pumpdown pressure, deviation and tool location integrated with live log data to provide a 3D image of the downhole operation. This image can be displayed in the wireline unit and transmitted to a customer location so the field crew and customer have a live view of the operation to make more informed decisions.
In a recent deployment of the ZIP Intervention Platform, the stage completion efficiency improved from 6 to 7 stages per day to 9 to 10 stages per day. This efficiency gain saved the customer 6 days of completion time, which meant reduced cost, maximum pumping efficiency and production coming online earlier than planned.
GR crews are rolling out this technology in the Permian, Eagle Ford and the Midcontinent to lower completion cost by reducing operating time and failures.
*ZIP Intervention Platform, ZipLok, ZipDrop, ZipSquad, ZipSet, ZipRelease and ZipView are marks of GR Energy Services.